Wednesday, May 17, 2006

can you pass this test?


Bret Easton Ellis is an extremely talented and fanatically twisted author. His works include: American Psycho, Lunar Park, The Rules of Attraction, Less Than Zero. I am most interested in American Psycho. I can honestly say it was the most intense and impactful book that I have ever read. I say that it is the most intense because the story line completely blew me away. I find the impactfullness to lie in Ellis' ability to completely focus on the most obscure and fantastic items: business cards, and Phil Collins. This book is full of terror and utter violence. I have never had to put a book down and walk away due to the horrible visualization that I was experiencing from the fluidity of Ellis' words. Though it was a hard read, it is an important read. The publishers cancelled the printing of the book awhile back. It has been republished as a heavily edited version. I read the first printing. Either you will appreciate the allure of this book or you will quit halfway through. But if you quit, ask yourself why you did. This book is not supposed to make you comfortable. Remember that not all books were meant to be feel good stories; there are some created to challenge its reader and put them to a test. This is one such test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home