Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Beautiful Suspense


Elizabeth Kostova wrote a beautiful novel sweeping between the past and present; fathers and daughters; lovers and beloveds. One would expect from that formula an epic romance novel. Instead we embark on an adventure to find Dracula: one journey in the present day and another that would seem a previous lifetime.

I read this book almost a year ago after I heard an article with Elizabeth Kostova on NPR. (Here have a listen) I thought she had me spellbound. And then I read her book. I did not leave my house for two days. I don't even remember putting the book down. For those of you that know me it's a strong possibility that I may have sat in one position until the book was finished. It not only was that kind of good; it was that kind of suspenseful.

From a readers standpoint this book takes a commitment. It is not a short book, nor is it an "easy read". Kostova did her research; she had to in order to lay the appropriate foundation. I appreciated the slow moments, it was only then that I could take a breath. It was as if Kustova wrote this book for me. Within The Historian she provided such vivid imagery that I could feel the temperature in the room drop. It is an expansive book that meets very high standards. I have a great respect for Elizabeth Kostova and her craft. It really was a marvelous read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home